This afternoon on Hockey Central, Jeff Marek and John Shannon were discussing the Rick Nash situation and coming back from a commercial break, they had the following exchange:
Shannon: “If anybody is wondering why the Ottawa deal hasn’t gone through… pretty obvious… “
Marek: “For Nash, you mean?”
Shannon: “With Rick Nash. Ottawa is not on the list. Ottawa is not on Rick Nash’s short list.”
Marek: “Joe Resnick, the agent for Rick Nash, said at the NHL trade deadline, ‘If the trade deadline comes and goes and Nash is not moved, he will still not alter the list of accepted teams and Ottawa was not on that list.”
The article that Marek referenced, is this one that can be found at NHL.com:
McKenzie reported via his Twitter account that Joe Resnick, the agent for the Columbus Blue Jackets' captain, has broken his silence on the trade talk about his client with less than 48 hours remaining until the trade deadline, which is Monday at 3 p.m. ET.
"We're hopeful a deal can get done prior to the trade deadline that is fair and equitable for the Blue Jackets," Resnick told TSN, according to McKenzie. "However, if a deal is not reached, then the list of acceptable teams will not change at a later date."
Nash has a no-movement clause in his contract, but he has given the Blue Jackets a list of teams that he would be willing to accept a trade to. Nash's list of teams reportedly includes the Rangers, Canucks, Bruins, Kings, Sharks and Maple Leafs.
In other words, should Resnick stay true to his word, I’ll never be happier that a list has saved Ottawa management from itself.
As is usually case in the aftermath of a draft, a number of publications have short-sightedly assessed each NHL organization’s draft selections.
From ESPN Insider’s Grant Sonier – a former NHL scout (behind a pay wall):
The Senators made their big move before arriving in Pittsburgh for the draft by locking up Norris Trophy winner Erik Karlsson to a new seven-year deal. They were also one of the teams connected to Rick Nash and have the organizational depth to make an intriguing offer to Jackets GM Scott Howson if the Senators are a team Nash is interested in joining. They continue to stockpile goaltending, drafting two more netminders, including Chris Driedger with the No. 76 overall pick.
Sonier's prime picks: No. 15 overall defenseman Cody Ceci is the most NHL-ready defenseman in this draft because of his size, strength and elite shot from the point. He produced almost a point per game on a good Ottawa 67s team in the OHL. Having no second-round pick hurts the depth in this year's draft.
Sonier actually had more to say about Ceci in another Insider article (again behind a pay wall):
Obviously the Senators know him well, as he plays in their backyard with the 67s. Ceci is a big, strong, two-way defenseman, who -- in my opinion -- is as NHL-ready as anyone in this draft. I'd describe him as a heavy player who wins all his battles in the defensive zone, combined with an excellent transitional game. Perhaps his greatest asset is his cannon-like shot. He put up 60 points in 64 games, which isn't too shabby for a blueliner.
With Erik Karlsson and Jared Cowen, Ceci's selection really sets up the Sens well for years to come with high-end defensemen.
This afternoon, the Senators released their 2012 development camp roster. The camp runs from Tuesday, June 26, to Monday, July 2, at Scotiabank Place and the Bell Sensplex. The club has invited thirty-five players to participate, including all seven of this past weekend’s draft selections. In an interesting turn of events, Robin Lehner was invited to participate but Jakob Silfverberg was not. Below is the list of the invitees (an asterisk denotes a returning development camp participant):
- 31 Brassard, Francois G 6-1 154 18 Gatineau (QMJHL) 2012 draft, 166th
- 32 Driedger, Chris G 6-3 190 18 Calgary (WHL) 2012 draft, 76th
- 40 Lehner, Robin G 6-4 241 20 Binghamton (AHL), Ottawa (NHL) 2009 draft, 46th
- 63 * Aneloski, Bryce D 6-2 204 22 Nebraska-Omaha (WCHA) 2010 draft, 196th
- 37 Baillargeon, Robert D 6-0 175 18 Indiana (USHL) 2012 draft, 136th
- 70 * Blood, Ben D 6-3 232 23 North Dakota (WCHA), Binghamton (AHL) 2007 draft, 120th
- 74 * Borowiecki, Mark D 6-2 210 22 Binghamton (AHL), Ottawa (NHL) 2008 draft, 139th
- 47 Boyle, Timothy D 6-1 185 19 Nobles & Greenough (USHS) 2012 draft, 106th
- 49 * Claesson, Fredrik D 6-0 198 19 Djurgardens (Sweden) 2011 draft, 126th
- 38 Ceci, Cody D 6-2 207 18 Ottawa (OHL) 2012 draft, 15th
- 52 * Fransoo, Jordan D 6-2 188 19 Brandon (WHL), Victoria (WHL) 2011 draft, 186th
- 72 New, Daniel D 6-1 190 23 Providence College (HE), Springfield (AHL) Not drafted
- 58 Sdao, Michael D 6-4 207 22 Princeton (ECAC) 2009 draft, 191st
- 56 Van Riemsdyk, Trevor D 6-2 185 20 New Hampshire (HE) Not drafted
- 45 * Wideman, Chris D 5-10 183 22 Miami (Ohio) (CCHA) 2009 draft, 100th
- 66 Wikstrand, Mikael D 6-1 183 18 Mora IK (Swe-Jr.) 2012 draft, 196th
- 73 * Costello, Jeff L 6-0 190 21 Notre Dame (CCHA) 2009 draft, 146th
- 54 * Cowick, Corey L 6-3 215 21 Elmira (ECHL), Binghamton (AHL) 2009 draft, 160th
- 50 * Culek, Jakub L 6-3 188 19 Rimouski (QMJHL) 2010 draft, 76th
- 64 Darcy, Cameron R 6-0 181 18 U.S. National Dvlpmt. (USHL) Not drafted
- 43 * Dzingel, Ryan C 6-0 185 20 Ohio State (CCHA) 2011 draft, 204th
- 59 * Dziurzynski, David L 6-3 213 22 Binghamton (AHL) Not drafted
- 53 * Hamilton, Wacey R 5-11 180 21 Elmira (ECHL), Binghamton (AHL) Not drafted
- 68 * Hoffman, Mike L 6-0 185 22 Binghamton (AHL), Ottawa (NHL) 2009 draft, 130th
- 6 * Kramer, Darren L 6-2 210 20 Spokane (WHL) 2011 draft, 156th
- 27 Maidens, Jarrod C 6-0 178 18 Owen Sound (OHL) 2012 draft, 82nd
- 69 * McCormick, Max L 5-11 175 20 Ohio State (CCHA) 2011 draft, 171st
- 36 * Noesen, Stefan R 6-1 198 19 Plymouth (OHL) 2011 draft, 20th
- 44 * Pageau, Jean-Gabriel C 5-9 170 19 Gatineau (QMJHL), Chicoutimi (QMJHL) 2011 draft, 96th
- 61 * Peltz, Brad L 6-1 175 22 Yale (ECAC) 2009 draft, 190th
- 10 * Prince, Shane L 5-11 189 19 Ottawa (OHL) 2011 draft, 61st
- 3 * Puempel, Matt L 6-1 201 19 Peterborough (OHL), Binghamton (AHL) 2011 draft, 24th
- 51 Schneider, Cole L 6-2 180 21 Connecticut (AHA), Binghamton (AHL) Not drafted
- 60 * Stone, Mark R 6-3 203 20 Brandon (WHL), Ottawa (NHL) 2010 draft, 178th
- 93 * Zibanejad, Mika C 6-1 200 19 Djurgardens (Sweden), Ottawa (NHL) 2011 draft, 6th
Tweet of the Day…
This was in response to this morning’s blog piece entitled, Ceci’s a ‘garbage pick’:
@6thSens The most unintelligent article ever written. Don Brennan worthy.— Blake Crossley (@ToddHockney) June 25, 2012