Much like the Ottawa Senators playoff chances, Daniel Alfredsson is down and out. For anyone who has watched his play (and production) deteriorate since the month of October, it wasn't surprising to learn from GM Bryan Murray a few weeks ago that Alfie had been dealing with some undisclosed injury for some time. And today, we finally received the revelation that the captain will be out indefinitely with a lower back injury.
If you watch the above video, you'll hear Alfie explain that he hopes to be back within a two week timeframe but news of his absence created some substantial Interwebs buzz. Here are just a few examples of what was said:
- Hmm. Alfredsson out for weeks with a back injury. Winchester out with a knee. Vets on the block at deadline. Lottery pick, here #Sens come! ~ Wayne Scanlan via Twitter (@HockeyScanner)
- This is a huge blow to a team that has already been awful. ~ Chris Morgan, The Examiner (Note: Chris needs to fact check before posting. Ottawa's the second worst team in the
- Even though he has been listed as an untouchable, Daniel Alfredsson should look to get a move from Canada's capital to a Stanley Cup contender because he isn't getting any younger and it doesn't seem that he will ever win a Cup with the Sens. ~ Some goof on BR
- “It's the only thing we can do right now. It's to the point where we don't want to put him in jeopardy as far as health. He's not able to do the things he wants to be able to do right now, and it's getting worse and worse. It's been a while since he's been anywhere near 100 per cent.” ~ Cory Clouston via The Glove and Mail
- ``I’m not sure how long he’ll be out, it’s not critical but he’s not feeling well so we’ll keep him out for a bit,” GM Bryan Murray told me a few min ago. ~ Pierre Lebrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun)
- "Obviously losing a player of Alfie's character and talent is a huge loss for the organization... But do you want to hear the good news? I just saved some money on my car insurance." ~ Me